Don’t you just love that title? An Activity a Day keeps the Melt Downs Away. Yea RIGHT!!! I don’t know about you, but my kids WEAR ME OUT!!!! So, I have come up with a few things that seem to work in my household. With a little helping hand (called the Internet) THANK GOD FOR THE INTERNET!!!! Some of these might just get you laughing with your kids too!
Don’t forget to look up from the computer once and a while and come back to reality… Melt downs seem to happen when I forget to give them undivided attention.
1. A New Way to Take a Bath! Bathtubs are great to buy you about 30 min of time for you to relax… Or clean your bathroom! Find some time for yourself like painting your toe nails while they are in the tub… Or pluck your eye brows, lol… Anything you can do for yourself at this time can encourage you to clean your kids more often! lol One of my favorite things to do is read a book while they are in the tub. (My kids are getting older, so I don’t have to worry AS MUCH about drowning)… Some fun ideas… Glow Sticks, Bath Crayons and BUBBLES. I was a little scared about the how dark it would be if I turned the lights out while they had glow sticks, but luckily I have a window in my bathroom and covered it halfway to keep some light in there. They spent almost 45 min in the tub that day… I just kept adding hot water. I have never seen their fingers shrivel up that much. Even in the next scenario!
2. Go to the pool! Look around and find a cheap place to go swimming. They are there if you look for them. Call hotels and ask too, can’t hurt! I know some have packages for parties. If you have a YMCA or a YWCA in your area, check for their rates. Get on the mailing list for upcoming events. In my town, they have a pool at the high school. They have open swim times available and times for home schoolers and preschoolers. Find out when the discounted days are and take advantage of them. Your kids will love it and so will you!
3. Go to the Lake! Not just for summer… Take your kids turtle/frog hunting and fishing/ice fishing or for a boat ride (if you are able to). Just spend some time soaking up sun rays and water. You and your kids will feel refreshed. If you don’t have all of those items, just take them for a slippery walk on the ice or collect rocks or shells.
4. Toilet Paper! Don’t be stingy. You can just use what’s left on your dispenser if you don’t want to waste a whole roll. It doesn’t cost that much to have fun once and a while. Your kids will not stop laughing at this one. Let loose once and a while and make a mess…
Wrap them up like a mummy… Make long(er) hair, Make a pretty dress (if you have girls), make bib over-alls for your boys… Make big shoes… etc
You can easily clean it up by telling them to scoop it into a pile like a leaf pile to jump in. That way, it is all in one spot and you can throw it away when you are done.
I think the pictures speak for themselves! They had a ton of fun with this one… Goal is to WEAR them out!!! Without getting hurt. You definitely have to keep an eye on them if they are indoors doing this.
6. Get them outside… Especially in the snow… Fresh Air wears them out!
7. Play Brain Games that will get them active. There are many ways to do this… This site has many fun ideas to “Reset” the sanity… Check out more ways here… I LOVED #15 because it got them active and had fun thinking.
8. Make sensory stones… This one looks like fun and I can’t wait to try it. This is where I found it…
That’s it for now! I will continue to update this one because I think it is the most important.